June 19, 2013

A Vintage Christmas

I've said this before but vintage is really not my style when it comes to card making.  I love the look but I find it hard to do successfully.  In any case, I wanted to play along at Festive Friday and vintage is the theme.  It's also the theme at Christmas Cards All Year Round so I'm linking up at both with this card.



Well, the main image of the house is actually an antique printing block I found in an antique store several years back.  Can't get much more vintage than that, can you?  LOL.  I thought this image made a great Christmas stamp and I've used it before.  It's a little tricky to stamp since its made out of metal instead of rubber.  You have to put the paper on top and use a brayer to impress the image.  Doesn't always turn out the first try.  Anyway, it's hard to tell but it's stamped in gold and cut out in an oval.  Then I sponged soft suede (SU!) around the edges.  It's matted on green, burgundy, cream then the taupe card base.  I used and corner punch (Fiskars) on the green to make the fancy corners.  I used a variety of flowers from my stash, layering them up.  The burgundy sheer flowers were white originally but I sponged on blazing red and royal purple StazOn ink to colour them.  Also, used olive StazOn for the green sheer flowers.  Used some gold flower brads (Making Memories) to put them together.  The roses were white originally as well, but I antiqued them with brown and gold.  Then I stamped the sentiment (Fiskars) in timber brown StazOn.  I added the burgundy bow and viola!  Done!





Wel, that's all for today.  Hope you all are having a fantastic week!

8 comments:

  1. Wow! It's gorgeous, Kim, and so cool that you used a real antique to get this look...it's a gorgeous image...what a find! And I LOVE the colors you've chosen! It's a beautiful card...one would never know that vintage was 'not your thing';) Thanks for stepping out of your comfort zone and playing along!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this is so SO neat! I love that you used an old printing block, and that image is stunning! This is so perfect for the challenge, and I know you've said you struggle with this style, but I don't see it! Tanks for playing again this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The classic image and the dark red make this feel very vintage! Thanks so much for playing with Festive Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, if you struggle with vintage, you'd never know! Beautiful card, Kim! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. a very elegant card, love the softness of the image. thanks for joining us @ CCAYR. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful card. Love the decorative corners and the image are all perfect for a vintage card. Thanks for joining us at Christmas cards all Year Round. Come back next month to play again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely card Kim. Thanks for sharing at Christmas Cards All year Round and good luck with the Challenge. Judy DT x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stunning design. The flowers are perfectly layered...and they don't compete with that gorgeous image either. Perfect design

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me your comments. I really appreciate them!