June 02, 2015

One Layer Christmas Card Challenge #11

Hey there everyone!  It's that time again for another fun challenge over at One Layer Christmas Card Challenge!  As per usual, it's anything goes with an optional twist.  And if you use the twist you earn an entry for the prize drawing.  What's the twist this time?  I think you'll like it.  It's poinsettias.


I love using poinsettias for my Christmas cards.  I've got a few lovely pointsettia stamps too.  I decided to try something I wanted to experiment with ever since I made THIS card.  Take a look...



I decided to test out colouring on black cardstock with some coloured charcoal pencils.  They gave a much brighter colour than regular pencil crayons.  I first stamped my jumbo poinsettia (Stampendous) and embossed in gold.  Then I coloured it using red and some green and used yellow to highlight a bit.  They can be a bit messy to work with but I love the effect.  Reminds me of enameled jewellery.  You will need to spray with a fixative so the charcoal won't smudge though.  I finished off the card by stamping the sentiments (Clearly Besotted) in gold and heat setting them.  Its dramatic and lovely, I think.

I hope you'll pop on over to OLCCC and check out what the other DT members have created.  Wonderful cards, all of them.  Hope you'll join in on the fun too!


********


On another note, you may (or may not) have noticed a change in my photo layouts.  For Mother's Day, I received from my boys a photo light box!  I've been wanting one for a while.  It's really cool too.  It came with its own lights and a table tripod for your camera and four different coloured backdrops.  And it folds up for easy storage!  Here let me show you.






I'm still playing around with getting good photos and I need to replace the bulbs on the lights.  They are older bulbs and get very hot quite quickly. They can be replaced with some more efficient LED lights.  One of the cool features is the lights and tripod fold up and store in those pockets in the front.  I really love this gift and it was such a surprise.  :-)

Anyway, thanks so much for dropping by and I hope you all have a fabulous day!

I'm going to link up to the following challenges:

Christmas Card Challenges - anything goes
ABC Christmas Challenge - K is for Keep it Simple.
52 Christmas Card Throwdown - pick a previous colour challenge. I went with color challenge #34 November 2014. Red and green with gold or silver.  I chose gold.

15 comments:

  1. Love the technique and your gorgeous design, Kim! The gold embossing against the black is so striking! That's a great set up for photos and I love how it packs away for storage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is SO pretty, Kim! The gold and red against the dark background is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Kim! What an effect! Great card. I love the CAS look too. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your card is absolutely stunning, Kim! I've debated about a light box & yours looks like something even I could use. What a wonderful gift from your boys.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous chalk colored poinsettia Kim. The gold embossing really adds dimension to your image. TFS your card and detailed description.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elle est superbe Kim, j'aime le résultat, le poinsettia est vraiment mis en valeur, merci de jouer avec nous chez 52cct, biz

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful coloring technique and gorgeous card.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your card is simply stunning! I love the bold red poinsettia, the colour really pops off the black background. Great work. Thanks so much for playing along with 52CCT this week!

    BTW - Love the photo box!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely poinsettia, Kim! Thanks for joining us at Christmas Card Challenges. Marsha DT @ SCCC

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow - the vibrantly colored poinsettia really pops against the black background to make a very striking card! I love the classic simple elegance of it! Thanks so much for making 52CCT part of your crafting fun this week. I hope you'll join us again soon for another challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That lightbox is SWEET!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Kim
    I congratulate the entrance to the magnificent DT Stamplorations. This is a huge success, but whereas the your card, it should not be a surprise. I love your cards and thank you for your great inspiration.
    hugs,
    Bozena

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stunning card Kim. I love the technique you used, I haven't heard of charcoal pencils so I must do some investigating. Great Light Box I have one similar but it is not as compact.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful card!
    Thanks for playing at the ABC Christmas Challenge!
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh wow, gorgeous card, Kim. Great stamp and beautiful colouring. Thank you for joining us at ABC Christmas Challenge. Luv, Wilma

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me your comments. I really appreciate them!