May 07, 2016

Inkspirational Challenge - Mint and Navy

It's a lovely Saturday to start a new challenge over at Inkspirational!  We've got a colour challenge this time for you.  Mint and Navy.


It's not a colour combo I'd use very often but it is rather good together.  Today I have something extra special for you. My Ink Teamies wanted me to do a tutorial on how I do the masking technique so I decided I'd share it with you all as well.  :-)  Here we go.....


Once I've decided on my main image and design idea  I create a mask by stamping my butterfly (Stampendous) on a thin piece of paper.  (In this case I used computer paper. I like to use post-it notes when I can as they are thin and have a built in sticky back that is low tack so as not to wreck your card underneath.  However, you are limited by size).  I fussy cut my butterfly out and set it aside.



Next, I stamped my butterfly in black Memento ink on my card base.



Then I added some Zig glue to my mask.  If you let this dry before sticking it down it is removable.



I stick my mask over my image and I'm ready to start playing with my background.



I stamped my script stamp (STAMPlorations) in black that I've faded out and spritzed with water several times.



Then I splatter Navy Memento ink and Peacock Feathers Distress ink.  (I thought the Peacock Feathers was a bit more green than it actually was).



Then I remove the mask.



I coloured in my butterfly with my Spectrum Noir markers and add the sentiment (STAMPlorations) in black.




Voila!  It's done!  I'm loving this colour combo and my big butterfly looks pretty good.

I hope you've enjoyed you visit today and maybe learned something new too!  Have a fabulous day!

I'd like to link up to the following challenges:

Craft Stamper Magazine - Take it, Make it Challenge for May - anything goes
Addicted to Stamps and More - make your mark
CAS-ual Fridays - birthday girl



20 comments:

  1. Just loved this tutorial and pit it to use already! Fab colouring x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much fro the helpful tutorial. Yes that colour combination is fabby. Wow on the butterfly and how you've coloured it. Such a gorgeous card x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tutorial! Love the bit of script in the background! Spectacular card!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fabulous!! What a great tutorial and a stunning card!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tutorial and I love all the touches you added to the card, the splatters and the script stamping. Fab layout too, beautiful card! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. How did I miss this beautiful butterfly in its lovely peacock colours....stunning!! (lost for words)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love, love and LOVE this card, my friend! Swooning!
    Hugs~c

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous!!! Thanks for the tutorial!
    And thank you for joining us at ATSM!
    Lilian
    The Leaf Studio

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your step-by-step pics for your card Kim - it really is stunning and the perfect example of a one layer card. Thanks for playing along at CAS-ual Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! This is so gorgeous!! I saw your card at Addicted to Stamps and More challenge and had to get a closer look!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a fantastic tutorial, Kim! Thanks! I will be sure to try this technique soon. Your coloring on the butterfly is lovely and I like the spatter addition. A beautiful card!
    - Shauna

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW! What a lovely project, Kim! Clean and classy. Thanks for joining us at ATSM.
    x Asha

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! Stunning card Kim!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous card! The big butterfly in navy and mint is striking!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kim, this is gorgeous! I am a big fan of butterfly and your is jusy fabulous. I love the color combo for it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fab card, love the colours and layout. Thank you for joining us at Craft Stamper this month. xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful butterfly! Love the intense blues! Thanks for joining us at CAS-ual Fridays :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous5/18/2016

    Wow this is such a beautiful card!! I love your layout and that butterfly is stunning! Thanks for joining us at CAS-ual Fridays!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love this .... great tutorial. The butterfly is stunning, great colours. Thank you for joining in with the Craft Stamper challenge xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is fabulous, Kim! I love how you stamped the butterfly off the card. And those splatters! Thanks for playing along at Craft Stamper Take It Make It :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me your comments. I really appreciate them!